13 October 2007

Happy 100th Birthday Ur Oma

IMG_2574Someone in this picture just turned 100 last Wednesday. Born in Luxemburg 1907/10/10 to a German father and French mother, it's Carola, or as I like to call her "Ur Oma" which means Great-Grandma in German. Here we are together last July in her "old folks home" in Erfurt. She speaks, French, Portuguese and German and she's proud of that so I'll brag on her behalf. Her mind is clear and she is healthy but weak from old age. The sad thing is, she told me it is a struggle to just make a cup of coffee and she doesn't have any sort of motivation to live. Usually what keeps most of us going are plans and dreams of sorts (and hopefully the happiness/ sense of purpose in the present), but at 100 it's not that hard to understand that she probably isn't setting a lot of goals for herself. She asked when we'd meet again and I replied in 3 years which is about how often I go visit. She smiled at my reply because she knew I was expecting her to be around in 3 more years. Her daughter (my Grandma) said the mayor visited and was mentioned in a local newspaper. She and my Mom went to visit this weekend and Ur-Oma's son Sylvester lives in the same city as her.

No comments: